If you are dreaming of endless beaches and the ocean breeze, then reserve your vacation days for summer travel to Hawaii. We may be biased, but Maui tops our list of summer travel destinations for its expansive beaches, gorgeous topography, and myriad of outdoor adventure (or leisure) activities. And keep in mind; airline fares are lower in the summer than high season, so now is the perfect time to book a flight to Maui.
The Road to Hana is an experience you don’t want to miss. Isolated from the rest of Maui by a 52 mile winding road through lush rainforest, Hana is an unspoiled gem on the island’s northeastern tip. Rent a car and hop on Hana Highway (HI-360), which will wind you through bamboo forests, cascading waterfalls, plunging pools and dramatic seascapes. Grab a map from the car rental place as there are plenty of opportunities to stop for a hike, cooling dip or even an ice cream scoop at the roadside shack.
Once you’ve arrived, here are some summer travel activities in Hana:
- Beaches: Soak up the tropical splendor on beaches with red or black sand.
- Paddle Board: Work on your core while getting the best view of the ocean on a stand-up paddle board. The Hawaiian coastline is a stunning place to attempt this celebrity favorite workout.
- Zen: There is nothing more tranquil then open-air yoga. Detox and strengthen your mind, body and spirit in a lush, natural state.
- Gardens: Roam Kahanu Garden to see the world’s largest collection of breadfruit and a lava rock structure believed to be the grandest place of ancient worship in Polynesia.
- Dine: Indulge in fruits and vegetables harvested on volcanic soil, fish reeled in that day, and cattle raised on the islands’ upland pastures. This fresh tropical cuisine will keep your figure in top bikini shape for summer travel.