It’s oyster season! These shellfish are rich with flavor and with health benefits. Oysters are very high in zinc, which will boost your immunity – a very helpful bonus during the winter. They also contain Omega-3 fatty acids, calcium and vitamin B-12.
If you have an oyster knife and some tight fitting gloves you can take advantage of this wonderful delicacy! You can also use a towel to hold the shells if you don’t have any gloves. When buying oysters make sure they are completely closed.
Keep oysters thoroughly chilled but never allow them to drown in water since these living creatures need to breathe.
How to Shuck An Oyster
- Scrub the outside of the oyster shells with a stiff brush under running water to remove any sediment.
- Wearing gloves, place oyster on a non-skid surface and look for the pointed hinge opening. Carefully insert your knife into the tip of the oyster shell and twist the knife until the shell pops open. Be careful to keep sediment or pieces of the shell from getting inside as you pry the oyster open.
- Cut underneath the oyster to disconnect the connective membrane that holds it in place.
- Serve in the shell, top with cocktail sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon. You can also use a topping that’s a bit more exotic like pomegranate/pineapple salsa.
Recipe: Hemp Crusted Oysters w/ Gomasio
This recipe is a good alternative to raw oysters and I think you will find the Gomasio to be a useful condiment to have in your kitchen.
The traditional recipe for Hemp Seed Gomasio uses much more salt. I prefer a lighter version for this application since it’s being used to bread the oysters. The more common use of this condiment is as an all-purpose seasoning. Here’s what you need:
- ½ cup whole sesame seeds
- ½ hemp seeds
- ¼ tsp. salt with trace minerals
- ¼ tsp. pepper flakes
Toast whole sesame seeds lightly in a skillet until they begin to brown. Let cool and place in a mortar and pestle. Toast salt until it turns slightly gray and combine with toasted sesame seeds. Add hemp seeds and grind into a course mixture so that half of the seeds are still visible.
Next, shuck a dozen oysters. Immerse them in the following marinade for 20 minutes in your refrigerator:
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
Separately whisk two eggs in a mixing bowl and reserve.
Carefully lift your oysters out of the marinade and coat them with the following seasoned rice flour mixture:
- 1 cup white rice flou
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
Shake off excess flour and place in egg mixture, remove from eggs and coat with hemp seed Gomasio.
Heat a sauté pan and add 3 T. olive oil. Place breaded oysters into skillet and cook on high heat for 45 seconds on each side to get a crunchy brown color. Remove from pan and place on clean wire rack or paper towels to remove excess oil.Watch movie online The Transporter Refueled (2015)
Enjoy with your favorite condiment!
Pomegranate Pineapple Salsa
Combine the following ingredients in a mixing bowl:
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup finely diced pineapple
- ¼ cup diced watermelon radish
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 1 T. minced jalapeno with seeds removed
- 2 T. lime juice
- 2 T. minced cilantro
- Pinch of good salt