We are already into the second week of New Year, and there is no better time than now to commit to your New Year’s resolution. Here are 5 ways you can jumpstart a healthy New Year and create a solid plan for success.
1. Realize you will fail. The most important thing you need to realize before even starting on your resolution is that you will hit a few bumps on your journey. When confronted with these obstacles, most people give up on their resolution entirely. Don’t be that person. If you go off your path for a few days, don’t consider your resolution failed. Think of all the progress you’ve already made, regroup, and keep going until you reach your goal.
2. Plan ahead of time. A successful New Year’s resolution requires a good plan. Before you start buying healthy food or sign up for a gym, figure out how do you plan on accomplishing your goal. How many times per week will you exercise, what foods will you limit yourself to? Knowing this in advance will help you commit to those decisions.
3. Deadlines. Make sure your plan has a time frame (lose 5 pounds in 1 month, shave 1 minute off my mile time by spring). If there’s no time frame, your resolution is more of a wish than a goal. Open-ended resolutions end up failing because there’s no end date to strive for. Dates will help you get motivated.
4. Reward yourself. In your plan, be sure to include ways to reward yourself when you hit certain milestones. If you want to lose 10 pounds, reward yourself when you lose 5 pounds. A day off from the gym, a shopping spree or something else that you’d enjoy. Rewarding yourself for positive steps will help guide you in the right direction.
5. Friends and family. It’s the New Year and chances are you’re not the only person in your circle of friends and family that has the same resolution. If you team up with one or two other people and make a plan with them, your chances for success will increase.